I want to start an IRC server for my web site on my dedicated server (one site) and I have some really specific needs... I've googled my brains out, looked at source forge, and just about every where... I really do hope this IRC server has what im looking for...
Currently I'm running a non-profit web site for a kids online game. What I need to do with my IRC server, once it's setup, is:
1) Disable private messaging (maybe not for channel op?)
2) Disable the ability for users to create channels, or join channels that arnt created by me
3) Authenticate nick names through a php file so I can plug it into my Invision Power Board member database (not critical, but prefered)
4) Needs to be linux based (since my server is running linux)
5) Be able to export in-chat users to a php file (not critical, but prefered)
And I really hate to be picky, but with a site for kids, you just have to worry about the saftey issue.
And what's worse is I have NO clue how to install programs on a linux server. I really shouldnt be touching linux with a 10 foot pole (im more familar with windows, then mac os), but when it comes to a server you just have to go with what's recommended.... And I'm getting a vibe from my host that they arnt going to be very helpful with this, although we'll see how that goes.
The last thing I need is a good fast (decent looking), maybe customizable, irc client. The online game is launched from an active x flash/shockwave thing anyway, so I figure if the users can play the game they'll be able to use my chat client if I go with that technology. (and I know most of them are in java, and if I cant find any in flash, i might have to go with java anyway). Would be nice if I could customize the look of it around my site...
Thanks in advance!